Thursday, May 28, 2009

Through a service, http://ladybugsnlove.com , I ordered Meiying's birthday cake to get delivered and also sent a care package of a few birthday presents, candies for the nannies, foster family and kids, a camera to take pictures with and a brief intro letter and SASE (hoping she'll write back or draw us a picture). I included 3 photos of us too.

I'm so excited for her to get it; I'm sure she hasn't gotten word about being adopted yet. I can only imagine her reaction (surprise, excitement, fear...).

I'm planning on sending another care package directly from us once we've established contact and I had already bought a few girly things to include (hair accessories, a necklace, an outfit and of course, a brand new box of crayons and coloring book...my favorite gift to get when I was a kid -- hey, I was the 9th of 10 kids -- my very own box of crayons and coloring book was a treat). The letter I wrote for the 2nd package is being translated and goes into a little more detail about us and where we live so she'll have a better idea of what's coming.

Anyway, here's the 3 photos we included in this intro/b-day package. I'm so excited!! Do you think she'll look at these pictures and see happiness and love in her future?...









4 comments:

Reena said...

HI Sarah!

How exciting to send a care package!!! Things are really moving for you now!

I think the pictures you sent to Meiying are absolutely perfect! What a happy lovely family.

Best Wishes!
Reena

The Montieth Family said...

Hi Sarah-

I think that Meiying will be very excited to see pictures of her friendly looking new family! And, to get gifts and a cake...that is a win-win situation. ;) It will be fun to get the camera back, Sophie loves to carry around her photo album of pictures from her 2 yr party at the SWI...it will be neat for Nina...whoops I meant Meiying to have that memory on film. AND hopefully she will draw a picture for you with her new crayons! THAT is one of the cool things about adopting an older kiddo, the communication that you can have BEFORE you meet! I am SO excited that you sent the care package! Sarah...Sarah....things are all getting SOOOOOO close now!!!! :D I am too excited for you! Love, Meg

Kristi said...

Oh, I think that Meiying is going to be so very excited when she gets the cake and care package!! Yay!! She likely thought that her time to be adopted had passed, and I am sure that she yearns for a family of her own. The pictures you selected clearly depict a happy and loving family - she is going to be thrilled (and sure, a little scared but mostly thrilled!).

Lori said...

Hi Sarah,

We just adopted OUR six-year-old fire-cracker of a daughter from Ethiopia three months ago. SO many of the things that you describe Meiying doing reminds me of the behaviors that our daughter 'started out' doing (but no longer does, thank goodness!), such as the persistent whimpering when she wanted something (ex. standing by the side of our bed in the middle of the night, wanting in OUR bed, for instance--urgh). I liked that you were honest and called it what it is--ANNOYING! :) Older-child adoption is very difficult but yet so rewarding and awesome all at once! It took a LOT of hard work and consistency on our part to break those bad habits of hers, so hang in there--it DOES get easier! The strong personality that Meiying has will serve her very well when adjusting to her new life in the U.S. Our daughter is the light of our lives (along with her 2 brothers, of course) and we couldn't imagine our family without her! She is doing extremely well at school and at home and I pray the same for Meiying. :)

Thanks for sharing your blog--it's mighty nice to read about another older child getting adopted!

Hugs and CONGRATULATIONS! :o)

Lori

P.S. My brother and SIL are expecting the referral for their 2nd daughter from China this month!!! They waited 3 1/2 LONG years and we are very excited that the wait is almost over (their LID is 3/26/06)....:)